On-line literature search skills (ISI Web of Science)
(Back to "On-line literature search skills" page)
What is ISI Master List?
How to learn if a journal is covered by the Master List or not?
How to learn if a specific database (citation index) is covering a given journal
ISI Mater List is used to represent all databases of ISI (SCI, SCI-E, SSCI, A&HCI etc)
You may need find out if a given journal is covered by the Master List, i.e., any ISI Citation Database. You may also want to know which database is covering a given journal for various reasons like:
Note that you can enter search terms as part of
- Title word search
- Full journal title search
- or ISSN search
The use of "Title Word Search" is recommended for long or complicated journal names. For example a "Full Journal Title" search by using the words "Journal of Polymer Science" will fail since it has variations like:
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-1-POLYMER CHEMISTRY
- J POLYM SCI A1
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-2-POLYMER PHYSICS
- J POLYM SCI A2
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-GENERAL PAPERS
- J POLYM SCI PART A
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-POLYMER CHEMISTRY
- J POLYM SCI POL CHEM
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART B-POLYMER LETTERS
- J POLYM SCI POL LETT
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART B-POLYMER PHYSICS
- J POLYM SCI POL PHYS
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART C-POLYMER LETTERS
- J POLYM SCI POL LETT
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART C-POLYMER SYMPOSIUM
- J POLYM SCI POL SYM
- JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE-POLYMER SYMPOSIA
You may not be aware of the variations, or you may not know how to separate them. Therefore doing a "Title word" search will secure the search.
Now you can do a few things on this page:
- Journal saerch
- Directly view all journals listed in alphabetical order
- View a list of all journals covered in a specific category, like "physical chemistry" as shown below
- View journal coverage changes for very advanced purposes.
Note that you must type the full title (not the abbreviated one) for a Full Journal Title search.
Note also that you must enter a single word for "Title word" search. For example, entering the "European Polymer Journal" for a "Title Word" search will fail although all the words are available in the title. herefore enter only european, or preferably "polymer" only to find the "European Polymer Journal" by "Title Word" search. No need to mention that using the word "journal" in "Title Word" search will not be a smart choice since there are thousands of journal titles starting or ending with the word "journal"
If you see your journal's title in the results page, your journal is being covered by that database (Science Citation Index in this example)
Note that you can click publisher's name (printed in blue) to go to the web page of the journal.
Also note that absence of the journal you are searching for does not always mean that it is not covered by that database. Spelling mistakes are very common reasons for failure.
Still could not find your journal? Do a final trial with "Vief Subject Category" search by going back. Choose your category and see if it is listed under that category.